06 September 2008

Google Reader

I started using RSS feeds about a year ago, as the Mail program on my Mac has a built in reader. I have a few friends who have blogs, so I keep track of their comments with via RSS. Another friend uses Google Reader, which I played with a little bit a while ago. Now, at the prompting of the 23 Things project, I've played around a bit more.

Google's applications are very helpful, but their directions are very unclear. I am excited about keeping tracks of blogs and other websites in one place. However, whenever I want to change, personalize, or explore a particular feature, I find it hard to figure out how to do so. I consider myself a fairly savvy technology user, but struggled with using Reader features that sounded cool.

I plan to follow my students' blogs via my Google Reader account. I'll keep each class's links in it's own folder, making tracking, grading and general usage easier. I will be able to see when they post and comment, without having to visit every one of the 170+ sites. I'm not sure that I want to require my students to use RSS feeds to follow each others blogs, but I may suggest it in class. I think that it would be neat for a Social Studies class to use a reader to follow specific news sites. Perhaps they could compare The New York Times and CNN online, in order to look for the particular biases present in the news.

No comments: