02 March 2008

Website Number One


This is actually a link to a page of my own that has several related links. Each of the sites already contain casual evaluations, designed to help focus research for a project my 9th graders complete during our unit on the novel To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I came across the various sites primarily through an undergraduate reading course that contained a "technology and reading" lesson. One of the original sites disappeared, so I went hunting for a replacement, which is when I found the "Reminiscence" site.

My students often struggle with pulling information from the two "Growing Up" sites, as the content is dense and unfamiliar. However, the audio clips on the "Federal Writer's Project" site grabs their attention. The material they pull is not as helpful, but their engagement in the site helps lead them to a basic understanding of life in the '30s.  If others have sites containing primary source information about this era, I'd love to expand the project's possibilities.

An aside: I created my site using iWeb, after I found out that I would be changing schools. The site existed through my first district's server. The transition from one system to another provided an excellent chance to update and revamp the project. At some point, I'd like to create a new domain, one that doesn't connect to my personal site (which is password protected, currently).

No comments: