05 March 2008

Website Number Two

As I researched my project topic, I came upon tinyurl.com, which appears potentially useful. If you're teaching a lesson in a lab and want students to go to a specific site, you could create a shorter address for them to type. Granted, I tend to send my kids to my (teacher) homepage and then click on the link I previously added. This site is very limited in its information, which makes it seem less credible. All of the links on the side of the page are for the single page that you could scroll through. Other than the contact button, none link to a new page. Furthermore, as more people use it, the "short" URLs will become longer and more random. This presents clarity issues: my new address contained a z, k, e and s--all hard sounds to clearly communicate aloud to a group. I'm not sure that I'll find a direct use for this in the classroom, but it does bring up some ideas. We'll see....

UPDATE 7 April: I received a Tiny URL link from my tech. staff at work today! People are using this handy, if random, site!

No comments: